Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Secret Pal 7 (SP7) Questionnaire


1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand?

Yes, I prefer natural fibers and quality does make a difference. I figure my time is valuable so why put my efforts into using cheap yarn. However, I’m not a brand snob, I’ve used Lion Brand Cotton-ease (sadly, now discountinued) and TLC Cotton plus. I really like Patons Classic Merino. I will use a good quality cotton/acrylic or wool/acrylic blend but as a rule, I don’t like acrylics.

2. Do you spin? Crochet?

I don’t spin (though I’ve always been interested in learining). I know how to crochet but as a rule I don’t crochet unless it is an edging on a knitted item.

3. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?

Anywhere I can find to put them. For the most part I have no organization other than I like to keep them in the original packaging (usually a plastic pouch). My needles always end up in my project bags anyways. Needle keepers are probably not for me. I use circulars almost exclusively, and douple points when I have to or don’t have two circs in the same size. I do use a small cosmetic bag for the miscellaneous stuff.

4. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?

Learned to knit when I was 9 years old. I knitted as a teenager then stopped until I was pregnant with my 1st child. I thought it would be great to knit my baby a sweater. So I’ve been knitting for almost 6 years since my 20+ year hiatus.

I’d consider myself an intermediate knitter. I’ve knitted most things and used most knitting techniques – socks, hats, shawl, sweaters, felted, lace, cables, mosiac, fairisle, intarsia. I get bored doing the same thing, so I’m usually trying something new. I just haven't knitted a lot of items.

5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?

Yes, but it’s not up to date. I’ll post when I get it back in order.

6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)

Almond is my absolute favorite. I’m not very fond of floral scents. I like citrusy and fruity scents.

7. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?

Doesn’t everyone? I especially like candy and chocolates with nuts, almonds are my favorite.

8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?
Crafty stuff – scrapbooks, altered books.

9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)

A wide variety. My favorites to give you an idea of my tastes in music – Clash, Joy Division, Cure, Bauhaus. As far as genres, punk, alternative, new wave (do they still use this term?)

10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?

Lately I’ve gravitated towards greens and I tend to like the more yellow greens (lime, chartreuse, olive). I like blues and purples as well.

11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?

Married, 2 children, daughter 4 years old, son 2 year old. They keep me busy. Several Cats – Japanese Bobtails

12. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?

Rarely, its warm in San Diego. I don’t own a poncho. I wear hat and mittens when I’m somewhere cold.

13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?

Soft wool, merino or similar. (i.e., Koigu, Manos, Lana Grossa Cool Wool). I love handpaints and self-striping yarn (for socks or otherwise) because it always keeps my interest. I also like ribbon yarn for the feel and drape.

14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?

Acrylic yarn. Eyelash yarn. Scratchy wool is its next to my skin.

15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?

Arans/celtic/cables and skull motifs.

16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Socks and lately hats.

17. What are you knitting right now?

Wee Call Them Pirates hat
FLAK


18. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?

Yes.

19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
Circulars all the way.

20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
Depends. Addi Turbos, Denise needles, Aero Needles, Bryspun Needles (dp and circ). I do have bamboo needles as well.

21. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?

Yes.

22. How did you learn to knit?
A booklet called “I Taught Myself to Knit” when I was 9 years old.

23. How old is your oldest UFO?
Don’t Ask. I have two sweaters that I started 25 years ago. They are destined for the frog pond. I have an unassembled baby sweater for my son who is now almost 2 and half years old.

24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?

Hello Kitty. Any feline.

25. What is your favorite holiday?

Christmas. I love decorating the tree, baking cookes, gingerbread houses, and giving gifts.

26. Is there anything that you collect?

Not really (I guess yarn doesn’t count). I have a collection of Sylvanian Families figures for my daughter (think I like them more than she does).

27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?

Rebecca Magazine and Interweave Knits. I had Rowan as well but I haven’t like the new issues so I’m not going to renew. I buy vogue when I like the issue.

28. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on?

I’m always wanting something. Hmm. Malabrigo yarn, Diakeito yarn, I like the looks of Diarufurun, and Patons – Must Have Cardigan pattern.

29. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?

Steeks. I’d love to knit a Dale of Norway sweater. I like the Torrino sweater.

30. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
Yes. TUSRHTWNWOC (Toe – up short row heel and toe with no wrap one circular)
9.25 inches long, 8.5 inches wide

31. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)

07/03

1 Comments:

At 3:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shopping around I felt the need for another reward card and the wide selection I got here was overwhelming.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home