Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Holiday Jackpot

After previous year's requests were ignored (for yarn gift certificate), my husband gave me $100 gift certificate to elann.com. Yeah! I can now feed my habit for more fiber.

I also received a couple of knitting gifts from my sister in Philly. A skein of Artfulyarns Broadway in a purple/plum colorway. It's beautiful yarn and I've already started a mutidirectional diagonal scarf. She also gifted me with "The knitting stitch bible". She must know that she'll be the recipient of more knitted gifts since she feeds my habit.

Despite swearing off making knitted gifts this year, I actually completed 3 gift hats. A My Hat of Choice by SouleMama for my sister, in a green shade of manos yarn that she selected last year.

A basic cabled cap for my daughter in Gedifra striping wool/acrylic yarn in white/pink/blue. I have yet to make the pom-pom that she requested, but I consider it finished.

For my son, Cameron's Cap, a hat with short-row ear flaps, made from the most wonderful yarn - Reynolds Odyessy in dark blue/grey shades of subtly changing stripes in merino wool. This is a yarn I've had my eye on for some time but its expensive so I hadn't purchased any. A child's hat was a good way to try it out. I'll definitely, use this yarn again.

I was sure I would run out of yarn before finishing but I had about 9 yards left over. I was so sure I would run out that I went to the LYS the day before Christmas and bought another skein. I think I'll trade it in for another color or maybe make a matching pair of mittens.

My husband expected to receive his skull cap for Christmas, but I couldn't find it. Of course I waited until Christmas eve to find it (procrastinator that I am). I made it for his birthday and he decided it was too short to cover his ears, so I ripped back and added some more rows. The only thing left is to seam the back. This hat was knitted flat due to the intarsia skull pattern on the front. I've since read about methods of intarsia in the round. I'll have to try this in the future. In the mean time, I'm still looking for his unfinished hat.

Next on my list are the We Call Them Pirates hat, out of Dale baby Ull in black and white and Girl From Auntie's Aran Cap. I'm getting great satisfaction knitting hats. I can finish them in a short time and they don't cost as much to make.

1 Comments:

At 3:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lost in the credit card junlgle? Keep your cool and apply online for credit card. A hassle free way to your credit card.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home